Pros and Cons of Same Day Dental Implants
by Dr. Scott Bolding | Dec. 14, 2021
What are the pros and cons of same day dental implants?
Same day implants are a great option for many people but are not necessarily essential for every patient. While there are certain cases that require a patient to receive a new tooth as soon as possible to avoid health problems like super eruption, they are generally more of a convenient option for those who would like a “quick fix.” And the good news is that the quick fix doesn’t come with a catch; your replacement teeth will not look any less natural, the procedure won’t cause any additional issues or risks, and the implants themselves will not be any less durable.
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of same day dental implants so you can decide if they’re right for you. Make sure you talk through all of the benefits and concerns of same day dental implants with your dentist before making a decision.
Let's Get Back to Normal.
Dental implants can help you get back to what you were missing. Implants look and feel like natural teeth so you can eat what you want and smile with confidence.
Our dental implant specialists are ready to help you get started.
What Are Same Day Dental Implants?
Same day dental implants are a type of dental implant procedure. Both the implants and temporary replacement teeth are inserted in just one day. We first place one or more titanium screws in the jaw bone. Then, we top the implants off with abutment pieces (which are small posts that act as anchors holding the artificial teeth in place) as well as the replacement teeth.
We call this process “immediate loading” because each part is “loaded”, or placed, “immediately” after the other. Same day implants can save you from months of insecurity while waiting for your permanent teeth. With the temporary ones in place, you won’t have to worry about continuing to see and feel that gap in your mouth while you heal.
Who Are Same-Day Dental Implants Right For?
Health-wise, the ideal patient for same-day implants is, overall, a healthy individual (a non-smoker, without an autoimmune disease, gum disease, or chronic disease, who has good oral hygiene, and does not clench or grind their teeth). Same-day implants may even be essential for some patients, including those who have missing, diseased, or damaged teeth and need immediate repair.
In terms of choice or convenience, one reason teeth in a day may be best for you is if you have a deadline. Maybe there’s an event or activity you are hoping to replace your teeth for, like the first day back to school or a wedding, holiday, vacation, etc. Whatever it may be, teeth in a day would be a great option to get you ready for that special day quicker.
Another reason this option might work best for you is if you have a tight or busy schedule. Maybe you don’t have the time for multiple appointments and recoveries. Maybe you have work or school. Trying to balance your home life with the time it takes to get dental implants can be hard.
Or perhaps you’re simply tired of the gaps in your teeth and would like to fill them in as soon as possible. You want the surgery over and done with, and you want a greater level of confidence in your smile. Teeth in a day can certainly make that happen. You will be able to go back to normal and gain confidence much quicker.
Pros and Cons of Same Day Dental Implants
Pros of Same Day Dental Implants
- They are convenient and cause minimal disruption to your life.
- The surgery is completed in just one day, so there’s no waiting period to get your replacement teeth; you get immediate results.
- With quicker smile restoration comes quicker self-confidence.
- They allow implants to fuse to your jaw bone more easily.
- Your gums will heal faster, and there’s a slimmer chance of infection due to teeth concealing the surgical site from food and germs.
- The long-term success rate is similar to that of conventional dental implants. In fact, the success rate, already high at 90-95%, is only continuing to improve.
- At PRECiDENT, our unique and comprehensive approach with robotic technology helps us plan the safest, most precise surgeries, down to the micrometer.
Cons of Same Day Dental Implants
- They cannot bypass the bone grafting step. If your jaw requires additional bone mass, you still have to undergo surgery and wait for the site to completely heal before the implant procedure can take place.
- Swelling and discomfort are more likely to occur after same-day implant surgeries than conventional ones.
- Although the risk is low, they are slightly more likely to fail or loosen quicker than traditional implants.
Understanding the Pros and Cons of Same Day Dental Implants
When making any medical decision it’s important to look at every aspect. That’s why you need to discuss the benefits and concerns of same day dental implants with your oral surgeon.